Breaking News

Uber hires ex-U.S. Attorney General Holder to probe sexual harassment

Uber hires ex-U.S. Attorney General Holder to probe sexual harassment

Uber Technologies Inc has hired former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to conduct a...

Donald Trump wasting his time complaining about media coverage, Malcolm Turnbull says

Donald Trump wasting his time complaining about media coverage, Malcolm Turnbull says

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has suggested US President Donald Trump is wasting his...

Senate scraps gold pass, votes to establish authority to oversee ex-politicians' entitlements

Senate scraps gold pass, votes to establish authority to oversee ex-politicians' entitlements

Former federal politicians will no longer be able to take free flights on the...

1.5 million people will see reduction in Family Tax Benefit supplements under welfare changes

1.5 million people will see reduction in Family Tax Benefit supplements under welfare changes

The Federal Government has conceded 1.5 million people will see a reduction in Family Tax...

Donald Trump accuses courts of being political ahead of travel ban ruling

Donald Trump accuses courts of being political ahead of travel ban ruling

US President Donald Trump has defended his immigration executive order as necessary for...

Print

Nightclub attack: Istanbul police continue search

on .

Image result for Nightclub attack: Istanbul police continue search

The manhunt continues for a gunman who killed 39 people in an Istanbul nightclub as Turkey marked the start of the new year.

The unknown assailant opened fire at Reina nightclub early on Sunday, before managing to flee amid the chaos.

The motive for the attack is not clear, but suspicion has fallen on the Islamic State group, already linked to at least two terror attacks in Turkey last year.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said such groups tried "to create chaos".

"They are trying to... demoralise our people and destabilise our country," he added.

The banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) has distanced themselves from the killings, with the PKK's Murat Karayilan quoted as saying they would "never target innocent civilians".

Earlier, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu confirmed a "manhunt for the terrorist is under way. Police have launched operations. We hope the attacker will be captured soon."

But as the search continued, the first funerals of those killed at the nightclub were held.

More than half of those killed in the attack - which lasted seven minutes - were foreign, according to the state run Anadolu Agency.

Among them were citizens from Israel, France, Tunisia, Lebanon, India, Belgium, Jordan and Saudi Arabia.

The club, which sits on the banks of the Bosphorus, is one of Istanbul's most upmarket venues - often frequented by singers and sports stars.