Home Australia Adelaide terror accused student slapped with Federal Court control orders

Adelaide terror accused student slapped with Federal Court control orders

0

An Adelaide woman acquitted of terror offences will be forced to comply with a series of controls over her movements and behaviour.

Zainab Abdirahman-Khalif, 24, was found guilty of being a member of the Islamic State terror group following a jury trial last year.

But the verdict was set aside and she was acquitted in a Court of Criminal Appeal majority decision last month.

The Federal Court on Friday granted an interim control order, allowing authorities to monitor her movements, after Commonwealth prosecutors argued she still posed a risk.

Among the controls, the 24-year-old must report to police once a week, not leave Australia, live in an approved premises and comply with a 10pm-6am curfew.

In reasons outlined in the Federal Court, prosecutor Andrew Berger said Ms Abdirahman-Khalif had gained notoriety after her acquittal and could be contacted by other extremists.

He said an example of that was the letters she exchanged behind bars with the sons of Rodney Clavell, who was found dead after a stand-off with police at an Adelaide brothel in 2014.

Load More Related Articles
Load More By madouh
Load More In Australia
Comments are closed.

Check Also

Student climate change protesters take to the streets across the country

A teenager whose family home was destroyed in bushfires has delivered an impassioned plea …